Sunday, 22 September 2013

Week 38 - Making Things Clearer and New Toys

So no new painting progress this week, between the weather and distractions I wasn't able to get anything assembled and base coated soon enough to get it finished for the post. I have got some things to talk about though so it isn't all bad.

In my usual meandering around the internet I came across some helpful tips on how to set up a photo booth for photographing miniatures. So I spent some of today setting one up. I still need to print off a background and get a plinth for the miniatures but I have at least got it started. So below are photos of the old booth and some comparison shots between the two. I invested in 2 additional lights but have stopped using my painting lamp, I need to see if I have sufficient lighting with the new set up but that relies on having the background...

The old photo rig. Seriously...

The new rig, missing some key pieces... Coming soon I hope!

Photo from new rig.

Photo from old rig, miniature on the left.

So a cursory look suggests I may need more light. The new photo looks more like the actual model though and has less shadowing. I need to find my tripod for future shots (or pick up a cheap one from somewhere...) and get a proper camera. The camera is the most important part of this but I can at least try and get the best shots I can in the mean time.

I finally got out and played with my airbrush today. It took a bit of faffing about to get the paint:water ratio up high enough but I eventually got the hang of it. Below is a test panel that I was playing around on once I got the ratio right-ish. The photo looks better than the piece does in person...

I still have to invest in some appropriate tools for this kind of thing and I am way off trying this out on models but messing about with it will be fun over the coming months. I'm going to have to get some felt to try it out on too...

After the assembly session Knightwolf and I had last week I have assembled a further 11 containers, so I have 20 ready for corner plating and then detailing. I have a further 2 prototypes for cold storage containers as well. I will knock up a tutorial for them all once I get hold of sufficient corner plate as they are dreadfully easy to make and very cheap too. In the mean time I did manage to get 36 crates base coated so I will probably be working on test schemes for them tonight. I have another game or two of Infinity on Monday and I plan on bringing my Morats to the table. They do suffer in low point games but hopefully I will learn about what they can do in time for bigger games. I'm going to discuss with the guys about starting to escalate the points level by 50 per month, that way it doesn't cost us much and we can build up to the more standard 300 point game size (by Feb anyway...)

Day 265
368/265 Painted/Days passed
368/366 Painted/Target (100.5%)
50/50 Dreadball: Season 1(100%)
6/6 Mercs - Kezai Wazza (100%)
71/71 Zombicide! (100%)
31/31 Dystopian Wars - Republique of France (100%)
7/7 Infinity - Haqqislam (100%)
48/54 Dreadball: Season 2 (88.9%)
32/40 Blindwater Congregation (80.0%)
11/18 Malifaux - Kirai Crew (61.1%)
89/150 Corporation Marines (59.3%)
21/89 Forge Fathers (23.6%)
1/85 Kings of War - Abyssal Dwarves (1.2%)
1/474 Kings of War - Undead (0.2%)

1 comment:

  1. I've got two containers painted now that I will bring Monday as well