Sunday, 25 August 2013

Week 34 - Back in the Saddle

This weeks post is brought to you by the letter F.

I have finally got some progress to show! But true to form, not as much as I should have. This week I only managed to finish up 1 model, Kirai herself, allowing me to play with her once the new rules arrive. Picture is below.

So let me say that I did actually try to complete more than just her. Over the weekend I worked on no less than 34 other models. This fell over because of one of my most used paints has dried out, Battlefield Brown from the P3 range. This is not readily available in stores round here and my order from Aussie hasn't been shipped yet. No prizes for guessing which expletive I was using frequently today...

So seeing as how I haven't got much in the way of complete models to show I have got the WIP shots of this weeks progress. The Judwan and Robot teams are just waiting for the dip to be applied, this may be delayed a while as I need to wear out a brush before I ruin it with the varnish. I may finish up the rest of the Zzor, Judwan and Robots models I have before doing so as well. Maybe even some MVPs...

So once my hand recovered sufficiently I decided that I would focus on just churning out Corporation Marines. With this in mind I under coated all the remaining models I had already assembled and got started on those still on the base sprues. I made the concious decision that since Midnight Blue is no longer available that it was better to just use the Army Painter Deep Blue and go back and redo the 26 I had done before, given how many more I would have to do in the future. It was after the 20 were well under way that I noticed my brown paint had gone hard. It couldn't even be revived with water... That wasn't a good start to my morning! So here are the 20 who just need brown before I give them all a black wash and do the fine details to finish. This is all pending my new paint coming in, I am likely to get more to this stage next week as well.

So once I recovered from the disappointment I got to work on the Haqqislam models that had been sitting there for the last few weeks. I made some decent progress on them but I decided after doing the wash step that I needed to do more brown, setting me back and ending up not finishing them in time for my post this week. These will definitely be done next week, I am liking how they are shaping up so far.

Finally I have made some progress getting ready for the next phase of the animal print tutorials by getting another werewolf up to the right starting point. There is another one under way as well.

So having had a break has certainly helped my hand to recover. I still have to change how I hold things as it begins to ache if I find myself holding something by the base for more than a few minutes at a time. I cut an old broom handle up for this purpose a long time ago, it is only just now that I have begun using it for painting. It helps with my hand quite a lot but blue-tac is not sufficient to hold a metal model to it for very long. Luckily I have a preponderance of resin and plastic to work on while I figure out how to get it to work long term. I haven't had any time to try out the airbrush yet, I need to grab some higher volume paint for it, I am sorely tempted by the 'ready to use' airbrush ranges but for what is ultimately watered down paint, in the same volume, for the same price is a bit annoying. The airbrush primers are certainly tempting though...

Day 237
268/237 Painted/Days passed
268/366 Painted/Target (73.2%)
50/50 Dreadball: Season 1(100%)
6/6 Mercs - Kezai Wazza (100%)
71/71 Zombicide! (100%)
31/31 Dystopian Wars - Republique of France (100%)
32/40 Blindwater Congregation (80.0%)
11/15 Malifaux - Kirai Crew (73.3%)
18/55 Dreadball: Season 2 (32.7%)
21/89 Forge Fathers (23.6%)
26/150 Corporation Marines (17.3%)
1/85 Kings of War - Abyssal Dwarves (1.2%)
1/474 Kings of War - Undead (0.2%)

No comments:

Post a Comment